I've decided to drink one beer from every country in the world. I know it's a tough job, but someone's got to do it. And that someone is me. The rules: I have to drink the whole beer, I have to photograph it to prove that I've done it, and it has to be an official, commercially produced beer (no homebrews). The only countries I can skip are ones that don't produce beer (haven't found any yet).

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Country #9: New Zealand


An excellent craft beer specialty venue in Sydney called The Local Taphouse recently had an event called the "Kiwi SpecTAPular", where they raised funds for poor earthquake-plagued Christchurch, by collecting donations at an event where they featured 20 craft beers made in New Zealand. So off I went, and had a fantastic time. Not only was it a great venue and company, but the beers were outstanding. I could rave about all the beers I tried (with maybe one exception), but the hit of the day was the Epic Hop Zombie, a super hopped beer made by Epic Brewing Company. I do not exaggerate when I say this beer is one of the best I have ever had in my life. Huge aromas of passionfruit and mandarin, silky texture and incredible depth of flavour made this well worth the (admittedly hefty) price tag. A spectacular beer from New Zealand; this is currently the one to beat.

Name: Epic Hop Zombie
Country of production: New Zealand
Style: Imperial IPA
Taste: Massive citrus aroma, super rich hoppy flavour
Cost: AU$10.40 for a half-pint (yikes!)
Availability in AU: Very low
Cred: Medium-High
My score: 9.5 out of 10 Maori war dances

No comments:

Post a Comment